Monday, May 4, 2009

Nerdsplosion!

Hey there fans,

Sorry for the long time without an update. I know all of you were dying to know the winner between Megan Fox, Jennifer Aniston, and Jessica Alba, but we'll get to that in a minute.

So, what a big weekend for nerds, am I right? The premiere of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I'm sure many of you saw at midnight, and of course the 8th annual Free Comic Book Day! Let's discuss my feelings on Wolverine first.

Wol-ver-ine: noun. The poster-slut for all things Marvel. Synonyms: Spider-Man. Antonyms: Batman, Superman. X-Men Origins: Wolverine has gotten a lot of bad press and reviews. I however thoroughly enjoyed the film. It was a nice action flick, that was at least relatively close to the comic origin. There was a nice jumble of some of my favorite marvel characters, some good action scenes, and some generally good action. However, I do have a few small gripes. My first, and perhaps biggest flaw of the film, is Deadpool. Now, for any average Joe seeing this film, I'm sure Deadpool was fine. But for those of us devoted comic book fans, he was a slaughterfest on our favorite Merc with a Mouth. The Deadpool featured in the beginning couldn't have been better. Then, at the end, they decided to go completely off-source and do whatever they damn well pleased with such a good character. Oh well, there's word of a Deadpool spin-off, maybe they'll fix him up by then. Another gripe, would be Wolverine's claws. Hands down some of the worst CGI I've seen in this generation of movies. Onto my last big gripe, which is about Fox. Why on Earth would you make two different "after the credits" scenes, and send them out randomly to movie theaters? That is a major inconvenience to fans. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to go to every nearby movie theater, hoping for the grab-bag chance that I get to see the other bonus ending. Oh well, back to my main thesis. Wolverine is a must-see for comic fans, and while it is still over-shadowed by Iron Man and Dark Knight in my book, with an 87 million opening box office, I don't see Marvel's poster-slut going anywhere anytime soon.

Now let's discuss Free Comic Book Day, one of my favorite days of the year! May 2nd, 2009 marked the 8th annual Free Comic Book Day. For those of you unfamiliar with this, it's an excuse for your local comic book shop to lure you in and snatch your wallet. All the big comic book publishers send out one designated "Free Comic" for retailers to stockpile. Little children then go to the store and force their parents to buy them all the other shiny comic books about Spidey beatin' up baddies. Now, usually, I go into Free Comic Book Day and expect 7 or 8 comics, ya know, the ones from the big publishers. Not this year, oh no. I walked out of there with 33 free comics and a few others that caught my eye. Granted, most of the "free comics" were things I would never read, but a true collector never complains. The best free comic would be Blackest Night #0, the prelude to the upcoming Green Lantern event. It was a small taste of the delicious crossover likely to fill my upcoming summer. Some other sweet issues were a reprint of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Marvel's Avengers comic. I encourage all of you to go to your local comic store and see what's left over, so you too can enjoy the free comic goodness.

Finally, Jessica Alba and Megan Fox are co-winners. I waited and waited for someone to break the tie, and no one did. So both girls share the March Babeness trophy this year, maybe one will prevail next year.

Thanks to all the fans, and spread the word to your friends! Maybe someday this blog will be featured on Attack of the Show or something haha. And stay tuned for my review of Star Trek, that I am eagerly awaiting on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment